- Name: Precalculus and Trigonometry
- Division: Liberal Arts
- Discipline: Mathematics
- Units (Credits): 5.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: MATH 096 with a grade of C- or better or appropriate score on the WNC math placement or equivalent exam or three units of high school mathematics at the level of algebra and above with a grade of C- or better within the last three years.
Studies relations, functions and their graphs; polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithm and trigonometric functions; analytic trigonometry; systems of equations and inequalities; conics; mathematical induction; sequences and series.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Students who pass this course must demonstrate they can:
- solve linear, quadratic, radical, fractional equations, systems of equations and inequalities (GE3)
- identify functions, find inverse functions, sketch the graphs of basic functions and transformations of them (GE3)
- graph linear, polynomial, exponential and logarithmic functions and use them in models. (GE3&6)
- solve right triangles and applications, trigonometric identities and equations (GE3&6)
- graph trigonometric functions and polar equations (GE3)
- use the Laws of Sines and Cosines to solve triangles with applications. (GE3&6)
- compute vector sums and differences with applications. (GE3&6)
- use DeMoivre’s theorem to find powers and roots of complex numbers (GE3)
Fundamentals of algebra, equations, linear, quadratic, exponential and logarithmic functions, system of equations and inequalities, determinants, conic sections, counting techniques and probability, trigonometric functions and graphs, right triangle applications, trigonometric identities and equations, laws of sines and cosines, vectors, complex numbers, polar graphs.
Scheduled MATH-128 classes:
There are currently no MATH-128 classes scheduled for this term.