I. Catalog Course Description
Presents methods of solving ordinary differential equations with application to physical systems. Includes systems of equations, series solution, numerical solution, and Laplace transforms.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
Students who pass this course must demonstrate they can:
- solve separable, linear, Bernoulli, and exact first order differential equations with applications (GE3&6)
- solve second order, linear, homogeneous and nonhomogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients or equidimensional coefficients, with applications (GE3&6)
- solve higher order differential equations. (GE3)
- solve systems of differential equations with applications. (GE3&6)
- use Laplace transforms to solve differential equations (including the Dirac Delta function). (GE3)
- find power series solutions to linear differential equations. (GE3)
First order differential equations, linear second and higher order differential equations, systems of differential equations, Laplace transforms, series solutions, and applications involving fluid tanks, cooling, Newtonian mechanics, mechanical vibrations, and electrical systems.
Scheduled MATH-285 classes:
There are currently no MATH-285 classes scheduled for this term.