For those desiring a shorter course of study, WNC offers Certificates of Achievement in many occupational areas. Students enrolled in any of these programs will benefit from “hands-on” laboratory experiences within their major field. They will enter the job market with specific skills and knowledge useful for employment and advancement. In some cases, courses may not transfer to other Nevada community colleges and Nevada State College or to other colleges and universities.
See a WNC counselor for the latest transfer information. Courses with a number under 100 (such as ENG 95) are not applicable toward a Certificate of Achievement at WNC. Courses completed through Certificates of Achievement provide basis for Associate of Applied Science degrees.
The purpose of the Certificate of Achievement is to provide employment-related knowledge and skills.
The successful student will:
- Know the subject matter appropriate to the emphasis of the certificate.
- Acquire the skills necessary for employment or career enhancement.
- Successfully represent themselves to a potential employer.
- Demonstrate effective communication and computational skills appropriate to the certificate area.
- Utilize appropriate resources for remaining current in the certificate area.
- Have developed an appreciation of the importance of social, ethical, legal and diversity issues.
30 total units chosen from the following categories:
Must include a writing course.
Business: 107, 108
Communication: 101, 102, 113
Criminal Justice: 103
Writing Course; Business 108,
English 100, 101, 102, 107 or any other
200 level English class.
Economics: 261, 262
Anthropology: 101, 201Business: 110
Counseling and Personal Development: 117, 129
Criminal Justice: 270
Early Childhood Education: 121
Educational Psychology: 150
Human Development & Family Studies: 201, 202
Management: 201, 212, 283
Psychology (except for PSY 210)
Sociology (except for SOC 210)
30 units are required for any certificate of achievement, although the exact number of units required may differ with particular subject matter.