The General Business degree provides knowledge and skills in the field of business. Students are encouraged to meet with a WNC counselor to identify programs which best suit their career goals.
Salary: $33,550–$59,240 / year (Nevada)
Career Outlook: Average growth, strong competition
Good To Know: Often includes hiring, training and supervising employees, although the increased use of computers may require managers to handle professional tasks with fewer employees
Prepare for career entry or advancement in accounting, business, management and marketing. Students develop knowledge, skills and abilities to succeed in today’s dynamic business environment. WNC offers Associate of Applied Science degrees for direct entry into the business world or an Associate of Business degree that transfers to four-year institutions.
Upon completing a Business Certificate or AAS Business degree from Western Nevada College, students will be able to:
- Articulate and demonstrate their personal employment related knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Evaluate the impact of various economic systems and policies.
- Summarize, record, analyze, interpret and communicate accounting and financial information for decision-making.
- Devise, implement and evaluate managerial decisions, actions and outcomes.
- Apply technology to aid in communications and decision-making.
- Present research, data, analysis and conclusions through written and oral means.
- Describe the changing landscape of the global market and its impact on the United States.
- Summarize the impact of social, ethical, legal and diversity issues within contemporary business.
- Develop business, financial, and marketing plans for established and emerging businesses.
A minimum of 60 total credits chosen from the following categories:
Core Business Requirements24 Units (Credits)
|BUS 101||Introduction to Business||3|
|BUS 273||Business Law I||3|
|BUS 299||Business Capstone||3|
|ECON 102||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|ECON 103||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|IS 101||Introduction to Information Systems||3|
|or IS 201||Computer Applications|
|MGT 201||Principles of Management||3|
|MKT 210||Marketing Principles||3|
Accounting Requirements6 Units (Credits)
|ACC 135||Bookkeeping I||3|
|& ACC 201||Financial Accounting||3|
|or ACC 201*||Financial Accounting|
|& ACC 202*||Managerial Accounting|
Business Electives: Choose 15 units from the following:15 Units (Credits)
Must take at least 3 units in three different subject areas.
|Any Accounting, Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Management, Marketing or Real Estate Courses.|
General Education Requirements15 Units (Credits)
Recommended: BUS 107, BUS 108 OR ENG 101*, ENG 102*; Must include a writing course
|U.S. and Nevada Constitution Requirements||3|
*Recommended for students who plan to enroll in a bachelor's degree program.
Suggested Course Sequence
Program Requirements: 60 Credits. Please see a counselor or academic advisor for more information.
First Semester: 15 Credits
|ACC 135 OR ACC 201||3|
|BUS 107 or ENG 101||3|
|IS 101 or IS 201||3|
Second Semester: 15 Credits
|ACC 201 or ACC 202||3|
|BUS 108 or ENG 102||3|
|BUS 109 or MATH 120||3|
Third Semester: 15 Credits
Fourth Semester: 15 Credits