Skip to Main Content

Class Towards Degree Requirement

Federal regulations require that federal financial assistance can only be provided to students for courses that count toward their degree or certificate of achievement program. If students are enrolled in courses that do not count toward their degree or certificate of achievement, those courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status. Enrollment status is what is used to determine the amount of financial assistance that can be awarded to a student.

Federal financial aid will only be awarded and disbursed for classes that are required for your degree/certificate. Federal financial aid at Western Nevada College includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Work-study, and Federal Parent Plus Loans.

If you receive federal financial aid and enroll in courses that are not applicable to your degree/certificate program, they will not be funded or used to determine funding levels unless they are one of the following exceptions:

  • Eligible remedial courses, such as remedial Math or English (courses numbered below 100)
  • Required prerequisites for degree/certificate applicable courses.

To avoid reductions in your federal financial aid, you should enroll only in classes that are required for your degree/certificate program. Counseling Services is available to help you stay on track towards your declared degree/certificate. You are encouraged to meet with a counselor each semester.

You may also monitor your Academic Advisement report through your myWNC account to ensure that you are enrolled in courses that fit into your degree/certificate requirements. If you are unsure about how to run an Academic Advisement report, you can learn how by following How to Run an Advisement Report.

If you need to update your degree/certificate, you must declare your new degree/certificate by the end of the first week of the semester. Please consult the Academic Calendar to determine the last date for degree/certificate changes. If you need to update your degree/certificate, you can do so on the Admissions Forms page.