A personal statement is your introduction to the scholarship selection committee. It is your way to introduce yourself, as well as highlight your strengths and needs. Your personal statement should be well thought out and prepared prior to filling out the scholarship application.
You may consider discussing the following items in your personal statement:
- An introduction that reflects your request for consideration – what is most important to you? Do not include personally identifying information, such as your name or school ID number. Doing so may disqualify your application for scholarships.
- Overall academic and life goals
- A description of your career goals
- Personal reasons reflecting need for financial assistance
- Academic history, including both challenges and achievements
- Work history, leadership roles, and recognition
- Cultural factors
- Volunteer, leadership and/or community service experiences
- Awards, recognition and previous scholarships received
- Which types of personal challenges or adversities have you encountered? What steps did you take to overcome them?
- A memorable accomplishment in your life
- Any unique and/or unusual circumstances
- Family/special considerations, in terms of rural locations, commute issues, etc.
- Travels and relocations as related to life goals
- A summary statement that contains specific or general requests
- You may write your statement in a word processing program, first, to reduce mistakes; however, spell check does not catch everything. Refer to a friend to help you with revisions.
- Use complete sentences, formal language, correct grammar, and avoid abbreviations and texting language.
- Begin with an introductory paragraph and end with a summary statement.
- The length needs to be between 250-500 words.
- Use a new paragraph for each new topic idea.
If you would like assistance with your writing, please contact an academic coach in the Dini Library. Its office hours are listed below.
- Mondays through Thursdays: 8:00am to 8:00pm
- Fridays: 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Saturdays: 11:00am to 3:00pm
For more information, contact Ron Belbin at (775) 445-3223 or email him at email@example.com.