The Latino Outreach Office serves as a liaison between Western Nevada College and the Latino families in the community. The bilingual staff welcomes all first-generation students and their families to guide them through a path to complete a college degree.
The Latino Outreach office offers the Latino Cohort Program that is helping Latinos engage in their academics and complete a college degree in a timely manner.
The mission of the program is to increase access and success to first-generation Latinos transitioning into college after school. Increase student retention and degree completion among the underserved student population.
Goals and Objectives:
Provide individual guidance and support to first-generation Latinos. Eliminate barriers for a smooth transition into college. Engage students in their education and encourage them to perform to their highest potential. Provide students with an educational plan that allows them to complete a degree in a timely manner. Increase interest in utilizing the resources available to support student success.
- Students must be starting their freshman year at WNC
- Commit to enroll in 12 – 15 credits each semester to complete a degree in two years
- Must be willing to work hard and accept the recommendations provided by the counselor/advisor
- Must be willing to engage with the Latino Outreach Staff throughout the semester
- Agree to be a team-player
- Complete online application here
- Attend an interview with the program coordinator
The Latino Outreach Office had an active parent committee that meets twice a month. Please click on the link for additional information: (link to parent ambassador flyer)
The bilingual staff also supports the Jump Start program available to high school students during their junior and senior year of high school to help students advance in their higher education. For additional information, please contact the Latino Outreach coordinator at 775-445-3215.