|Policy:||Policy 1-7-1: Behavioral Intervention Team||Date Adopted:||May 14, 2013|
|Department:||President's Office||Contact:||Vice President for Human Resources/General Counsel, Dean of Student Services, Co|
|Statement:||It is the policy of WNC to provide the safest possible working and learning environment. To that end, a behavioral intervention team is established to review and evaluate campus safety notification systems and protocols, to recommend improvements to the president when necessary, and to evaluate and make recommendations regarding behavioral concerns that arise within the campus community.|
Section 1: Behavioral Intervention Team
- In an effort to provide a safe campus environment and assist staff/students, Western Nevada College has developed a Behavioral Intervention Team comprised of representatives of the college community. Procedures are in place to ensure open communication between departments on campus as well as with community partners.
- “The Behavioral Intervention Team is committed to improving college safety through a proactive, collaborative, coordinated, objective, and thoughtful approach to the prevention, identification, assessment, intervention, and management of situations that pose, or may reasonably pose, a threat to the safety and well-being of the campus community.”
(Balancing safety and support on campus: A guide for campus teams, 2011)
- The Behavioral Intervention Team conducts regular monthly meetings and is available to meet more frequently to address immediate behavioral concerns. The BIT reviews and evaluates campus safety notification systems and protocols, and recommends improvements when necessary. Professional development training is provided periodically for the campus community.
- The Team is composed of the following members and reports directly to the college president.
- Coordinator, Environmental Health and Safety
- Vice President and General Counsel
- Information and Marketing Representative
- Dean of Student Services
- Coordinator, Rural Student Services/Counselor/Fallon
- Faculty representative
- Director, Public Safety
- Coordinator, Disability Support Services
- Student Life Coordinator
- HR representative
- Faculty/staff will be asked to report incidents directly to a team member via phone. For tracking purposes reporters will be asked to complete this form on Westnet: https://intranet.wnc.edu/forms/Intervention/
|Date(s) Revised||November 5, 2018;||Date(s) Reviewed|