|Policy:||Policy 11-3-14: Industrial And Vocational Shop First Aid Policy||Date Adopted:||Apr 01, 2008|
|Department:||Environmental Health & Safety||Contact:||Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator|
|Statement:||WNC provides effective and reliable first aid assistance during all industrial and vocational classes. In cases of injury, WNC staff are equipped and prepared to administer first aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), or Automated External Defibrillator (AED) if necessary until professional responders arrive.|
Section 1: Scope
- First aid assistance and basic first aid supplies are available at all times when industrial and vocational shop classes are in session and when students are working in the industrial and vocational shops. Faculty shall be trained to administer first aid and CPR. The following industrial and vocational shops are covered by this policy E.L. Cord Automotive, Carson campus, Andy Butti Welding, Carson campus.
Section 2: Responsibilities
- The college’s Technology Division is responsible for ensuring that all instructors are familiar with this procedure. The Technology Division is also encouraging instructors to become certified in first aid, CPR and AED.
- The director of Public Safety is responsible for assuring that officers and attendants are certified in first aid, CPR, and AED.
- Every semester, each Technology Division industrial and vocational instructors shall ensure that they know the most expeditious way to obtain qualified first aid assistance for students enrolled in classes.
- The Environmental Health and Safety coordinator shall update this policy as required. The EH&S coordinator shall replenish the first aid kits when requested by Technology Division personnel. The EH&S coordinator shall also periodically monitor the effectiveness of this policy.
Section 3: Procedure
- The Technology Division instructors shall ensure that all industrial and vocational personnel and students know the location of the nearest first aid kit, and telephone from which to call 911 or 9-911 (from any campus phone) to obtain an ambulance. They should also know the location of the nearest AED station.
- Technology Division instructors shall verify that sufficient first aid supplies are available at all times by periodically reviewing the first aid kits contents against the ANSI-Z308.1- 2003 American National Standard.
- All students shall be instructed to report all injures to their instructor. The Technology Division instructors shall have the injured student complete an accident report. That report shall also be signed by the instructor.
- Faculty will normally provide the first aid. The industrial and vocational instructor shall decide if an ambulance is called.
- Consistent with the Public Safety Accident, Property Loss, and Injury Policy, the Public Safety director shall review all accident reports and forward copies of all reports to the Technology Division chair and to college’s general counsel if there is a potential liability for the college. The Technology Division chair is to review the accident report for information and possible accident mitigation measures.
- A copy of the American Heart Association First Aid/CPR Manual shall be available in all industrial and vocational shops.
Machine Tool Technology-Carson campus
Reynolds Carpentry Shop-Carson campus
Sage Building Welding Shop-Fallon campus
|Date(s) Revised||September 2, 2008;||Date(s) Reviewed|