|Policy:||Policy 4-1-2: New Hire Mentors||Date Adopted:||Feb 25, 2003|
|Department:||Human Resources||Contact:||Vice President of Human Resources and General Counsel|
|Statement:||Every new .50 FTE or more employee will be assigned a mentor for a minimum of one year.|
Section 1: Purpose
- The purpose of the mentor is to give the new hire collegial support; to instill values of the college’s culture; and to help him or her learn college procedures, practices and policies.
Section 2: Notification
- When the WNC Human Resources Office notifies the college community of a new staff member by e-mail, an additional e-mail, requesting that a mentor be assigned, will be sent to the specific Vice President and to one of the following:
- For academic faculty, to the appropriate Academic Director;
- For administrative faculty or classified staff, to the appropriate governance senate/council chair.
- At the point when notification is made, the Academic Director or supervisor and the governance chair of the new hire will confer and select a mentor to be recommended for the newly hired individual. The Academic Director or supervisor will submit the mentor recommendation(s) to the appropriate vice president. If the recommendation is approved by the vice president, the recommendation will be forwarded to the president for final approval.
- The president’s office will notify the Academic Director or supervisor and the governance chair of approval of the mentor recommendation. The Academic Director and the governance chair or supervisor will notify the mentor. The President’s Office will keep a master list. The mentor should contact the new hire as soon as possible, but no later than two weeks after being appointed.
- When possible, the mentor and new hire should be on the same campus, but not generally employed in the same division/department.
- A mentor relationship may be dissolved at any time at the request of either party and a new mentor may be assigned.
- No mentor plays a role in a peer review process for the new hire, unless requested by the new hire
|Date(s) Revised||June 19, 2013; September 2, 2008; November 15, 2005; January 25, 2005; May 11, 2004;||Date(s) Reviewed|