|Policy:||Policy 4-3-3: Reclassifying an Existing Classified Position Guidelines||Date Adopted:|
|Department:||Human Resources||Contact:||Vice President of Human Resources and General Counsel|
|Statement:||Reclassifications of existing classified positions are completed upon the written request of the appointing authority, supervisor, or the position incumbent. Please note: An employee has the right to submit an NPD-19 for reclassification without the written approval of the supervisor.|
Section 1: Procedure
- In order to upgrade or reclassify a classified position, the following is required:
- The employee and/or supervisor must complete an NPD-19 form along with an updated State of Nevada application. It should then be forwarded through to the supervisor for review and approval. If the position is vacant, the supervisor completes the form. The employee, supervisor, and up the department’s chain of command up to the vice president should review and sign off on the NPD-19. The form then is forwarded to the WNC Human Resources Office for review.
- Human Resources completes a Form 202 (Classified Position Action Form), Reclassification Checklist and any other necessary paperwork. The HR Office reviews and approves as appointing authority. The Budget Office reviews and approves the request.
- The approved NPD-19 and accompanying paperwork is then forwarded to BCN Human Resources. The position is then reviewed and compared to other positions within the system and state and within the class specifications. If needed, arrangements are made for a desk audit either in-person or by telephone. The audit can consist of an interview with the incumbent, supervisor, and others to gather the necessary information. Once all the information is reviewed, a classification recommendation will be made. This process can sometimes be lengthy and time consuming.
- When the written notification is received, the necessary paperwork will be done to implement the reclassification, unless the employee plans to appeal. The effective date of the reclassification is the date the NPD-19 is stamped in at BCN Human Resources.
Section 2: Appeal Process
- If the employee disagrees with the recommendation, it may be appealed. The employee must file an appeal in writing. The appeal must be filed within 20 working days after the date of receipt of the written notice of action or in compliance with the letter that is sent to employee. The appeal must address the points outlined in the recommendation regarding the proper classification for the position, indicate the points with which the appellant disagrees, and express the reasons why they disagree and is forwarded to the Director of BCN Human Resources. The Director will issue a decision on the appeal.
- If the employee still disagrees with the decision, the appellant or the agency affected by the decision may appeal to the State of Nevada Personnel Commission.
|Date(s) Revised||September 2, 2008; May 11, 2004;||Date(s) Reviewed|
|NSHE Code(s)||NRS Code(s)||284.126; 284.130; 284.134; 284.140; 284.152||NAC Code(s)|
|Code Statement||State Administrative Manual|
*Please note: that not all WNC Policies will be referenced in these documents.
NSHE Board of Regents Handbook
Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS)
Nevada Administrative Code (NAC)