|Policy:||Policy 4-5-3-6: Academic Faculty Merit Policy||Date Adopted:||Oct 17, 2014|
|Department:||Academic & Student Affairs||Contact:||Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs|
Section 1: Equal Distribution first year(s), then combination
- First Year of Merit (2014-2015 Academic Year) and until an Evaluation System is in place:
- All faculty members will get an equal dollar amount. This amount will be calculated by dividing the total amount in the merit pool by the number of recipients.
- For the purposes of Merit, the ratings of Commendable and Excellent will be derived from the following scenarios on the Annual Plan/Self Evaluation and Classroom Observations:
- Commendable: Commendable/Commendable, Commendable/Satisfactory, or Excellent/Satisfactory
- Excellent: Excellent/Excellent or Excellent/Commendable
- Subsequent Years in Which Merit Is Available and an Evaluation System is in place:
- One third of the merit pool will be awarded in equal dollar amounts to all recipients earning commendable and above.
- Two thirds of the merit pool will be awarded based on faculty evaluations. Points will be awarded as follows:
- a. Excellent: 2
- Commendable: 1
- Satisfactory: 0
- NOTE: The maximum points that can be earned by a faculty member is 2.
- The points from all recipients will be totaled and 2/3 of the total merit pool will be divided by the total points to make a “share”. Each recipient will receive the merit increase of the points earned times the shares plus the equal distribution of the 1/3 merit pool.
- The criteria for faculty evaluations for the purposes of merit will be developed by the Faculty Evaluation Committee.
- Example of Merit Pool Distribution:
- In a pool of $90,000, the pool would be divided into two parts 1/3 equal distribution for those with Commendable and Excellent and 2/3 for the “shares” portion.
- 1/3 of $90,000 = $30,000 which will be equally distributed to those earning Commendable and above. For 51 faculty earning Commendable or Excellent, that would be $588.24 per person.
- 2/3 of $90,000 = $60,000.
- If a faculty member earned Commendable, the faculty member would get 1 = 1 share.
If a faculty member earns Excellent, the faculty member would get 2 shares.
- If 2/3 of the faculty get Excellent and 1/3 get Commendable, then, out of 51 faculty:
- a. 34×2 + 17×1 = 85 shares.
- $60,000/85 = $705.88 per share.
- Faculty earning Commendable will receive a Merit of: $588.24 + $705.88 = $1294.12
- Faculty earning Excellent will receive a Merit of: $588.24 + 2x$705.88 = $2000
|Date(s) Revised||Date(s) Reviewed|