|Policy:||Policy 5-1-4: Non Student Use||Date Adopted:||Oct 01, 1998|
|Department:||Library & Media Services||Contact:||N/A|
|Statement:||Non-Student use of collections and facilities.|
Section 1: Services for Non-Students
- Some restrictions apply to non-students. First priority is given to WNC students, faculty and staff. Patrons who are not students are able to use Library & Media Services with certain restrictions.
Section 2: Borrowing Privileges
- After presenting identification and registering their Nevada public library card at a WNC Library, non-students may check out WNC books for the same loan period as WNC students – 3 weeks. Non-students are restricted to borrowing 5 WNC books simultaneously. Fines and replacement charges are the same as WNC students.
- Non- students may not check out WNC video materials, but they may view them in the library.
Section 3: Inter-Campus Loan/Interlibrary Loan
- Library & Media Services will not borrow books from other institutions for non-student users.
Section 4: Library Cards
- If a patron does not have a library card, books will be placed on hold for one week while the patron obtains a card from their public library.
Section 5: Reference Assistance
- Reference service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority is given to WNC students, faculty and staff.
- Librarians are available to help non-students use the collection and locate materials as time and staffing permit.
- Library staff will answer “ready reference” questions (defined as taking less than ten minutes to answer). For more in depth assistance, non-students may be referred to their public library.
Section 6: Library Tours
- Priority is given to WNC classes and organizations followed by classes and organizations of other NSHE institutions.
- Tours for community organizations may be scheduled at the convenience of the library (time and staff permitting).
Section 7: Individual Library Instruction
- Although individual library instruction is considered an integral part of reference assistance, it is not the responsibility of the library staff to teach basic computer or internet technology.
Section 8: Computer Use
- First priority is given to WNC students, faculty and staff, non-student users may be requested to discontinue usage if there are students waiting.
- Computers are provided primarily for searching library indexes, research databases, the online book catalog and class related assignments. Research activities always take precedence over recreational computer use.
Section 9: Photocopying
- Library & Media Services has a photocopier located in each library on the Carson City and Fallon Campuses, which is available for personal use at 10 cents per copy.
Section 10: Media Duplication
- Library & Media Services offers audio and video duplication services. Users need to supply their own blank media. There is a fee for duplication services.
- Duplication of copyright protected materials is not permitted, unless a letter of permission from the copyright holder is provided to Library & Media Services.
Section 11: Media Equipment Loan to Outside Organizations
- WNC media equipment is purchased specifically to support the instructional programs at WNC and is not loaned outside the college.
|Date(s) Revised||December 9, 2008; September 2, 2008; May 11, 2004;||Date(s) Reviewed|