The WNC student ambassadors are a group of outstanding students who represent WNC on and off campus. The program is designed to engage prospective students, actively recruit at high schools, speak to civic organizations, conduct campus tours and assist during WNC activities. WNC Student Ambassadors promote WNC and personalize the college to prospective students, their parents, and visitors.
The WNC Student Ambassador Program is focused on the goals of teamwork and equal contribution by all members. The success of the program relies on the students’ involvement and working together as a team to become leaders among all WNC students. The WNC Student Ambassador program develops student leaders who practice teamwork, self-motivation, creativity, and friendship.
A WNC Student Ambassador is:
- A team player dedicated to promoting WNC
- An honest individual who works well with others
- An energetic leader who knows how to think big and motivate others
- A leader who knows that hard work and persistence are valuable traits
Student Ambassadors are recognized for their outstanding service to both the college and the community. By joining the Student Ambassador team you can:
- Develop and refine leadership and communication skills
- Create lasting friendships and associations
- Broaden contacts among students, alumni, faculty and the community
- Become an expert on WNC’s history and programs
- Work with and learn from college professionals in recruitment, marketing, public relations, development, alumni, and management
- Become part of a dynamic, highly visible, helpful organization
- Improve your resume! Student Ambassador involvement will impress future employers
- Be eligible for the WNC outstanding Student Ambassador award.
Student Ambassadors are paid $9 per hour and work during the fall and spring semesters.
Code of Ethics
The code of ethics for Student Ambassadors at WNC is as follows:
- Appropriately represent Western Nevada College when serving in the capacity of a Student Ambassador
- Be prompt to all activities and functions
- Respect the opinions of others
- Uphold the ideals and principles of Western Nevada College
- Dress neatly and appropriately for all official occasions
- Demonstrate courtesy and professionalism at all times
- Refrain from the use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco while acting in the capacity of a Student Ambassador
- Become educated about the history and purpose of WNC
- Share with others the experiences and the knowledge you have gained as a student at WNC
Student Ambassadors at Western Nevada College shall assume responsibility for their position and maintain active participation in college, industry, community and Student Ambassador activities which include:
- Provide informative campus tours and presentations to prospective students, their parents, and the general public
- Assist in the delivery of outreach programs and services targeting prospective students and promote WNC as the College of First Choice throughout local schools and the community.
- Represent WNC during college events, orientations, school visits and other recruiting events
- Within provided guidelines, follow up with prospective or newly admitted students to ensure a smooth transition into WNC.
- Participate in leadership workshops and in-service training as scheduled.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
The selection process includes an application and interview with Student Ambassador selection committee. Students selected to join this enthusiastic group should have:
- Be available to work at least two 4-hour shifts per week, between 8am and 1pm, during the fall and spring semesters. Commit to the program for an academic year.
- Good academic standing and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Be available to attend all training and monthly meetings.
- Availability to work a flexible work schedule per semester
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- A positive personality and enthusiasm
- A sincere desire to represent WNC
- Ability to work well with others
- Knowledge of WNC and its programs